Thursday, February 5, 2009

Signs

I was driving home from Visiting teaching Last week and I saw this sign on the Baptist church. I pulled over and wrote it down. I passed it again coming from this same sisters house (I dropped some birthday presents off to her cutie patooty children) and I pulled over and wrote it down again. I found myself thinking about it over and over again.

He Who Will Not Learn From Anyone but Himself, Has a Fool for a Teacher.

My paper is in the car so I hope I am quoting it right!

The lessons I can see that others need to learn (my teenagers) is this! They live in a world where they KNOW EVERYTHING. Goodness, even my 3 year old says...I KNOW THAT!

How frustrating. I know I used to say that too. It drove my step mom NUTS! But did I mean it? Did I say it to be rude or snobbish? I can't remember, ha ha.

If you KNOW IT...DO IT! I tell Karrea. I just get a sigh from her.

Last friday I hung around seminary so I could get my pampered chef 9x13 pan safe home and not have a bus ride. Shai had breakfast. They take turns, but it seems like its our turn all the time, ha ha! It's cool! Beats Donuts every friday! Do you know how many points those are? 6 if they are just glazed. OH DANG!

On fridays they play games to work on memorizing. What a great scripture to work on. Probably the longest one on the New Testament.

2 Tim 3:1-5

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

This Scripture is for our times. I don't remember being so rude as a youth. I guess I wasn't allowed to have an opinion until I was 18 and even that was questionable.

I was out of the house at 17. I lived with my step-mom's sister in Blanding Utah. I didn't have a lot of rules there. I mean, where is a fat pregnant unmarried teen going to go? I turned 18 in Feb. had the baby June 14. After I put the baby up for adoption I came home for a few weeks, hated it and moved back to Utah. Was there for 2 years and fended for myself. I learned from the school of hard knocks.

I watched people. I didn't always choose the good things of the world, but knew I was watched over and protected many times.

It is really hard to see this scripture come to pass even in our own ward/home. All I can do is strive to NOT let Satan rule here! Fill my home with the things the Prophets have counseled. Pray for my kids to be strong. (as I see Adrienne packing and probably moving out today!)

I hope that I can let others continue to teach me, and not have the attitude that I KNOW! (well, if you know it, then do it! Isn't that INTEGRITY?)

No comments: