Saturday, November 15, 2008

Truly Serving

"Serving others need not come from spectacular events. Often it is the simple daily act that gives comfort, uplifts, encourages, sustains, and brings smiles to others." Elder Michael J. Teh of the Seventy

James 1:22, 27
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves
27 Pure areligion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I have seen the tender mercies of the Lord over my 40 years. I have hoped to be part of God's tender mercies in Giving too. I have really appreciated the things that I have received from "strangers" and from "cyberfriends" and from visiting teachers, and neighbors.

I thought I would pass on a service that I received with great surprise.

March 17 of this year my husband lost his job due to agency of the owners. They went bankrupt. Coleman Powermate closed the doors. My husband worked there for over 19 years. (deep breath)I know I was green for a few days. Even after receiving a blessing from Elder Sovine I still could not see much color in my face, my soul, or my heart.

It's hard having faith and fear at the same time. You simply CAN'T. But how do you erase the fear and live in faith when you don't see a pay check coming in? In my blessing it told me to continue to serve. Continue on the path I have set. Continue to love and show honor and respect and show your children your great faith. So I continued to serve. I visit teach a young mom that lives about 40 miles away, one way. Gas being 3. 49 a gallon. Not a big deal. We visited, enjoyed each other and went our way (after a 4 hour visit, yes this is normal, ha ha. Must be the Hillbilly in us. LOL)

Well, the next day after I got done serving in the nursery at our local Ladies Work out center (this is where I get a free membership, so I can continue to relieve stress) I came home to a basket. A wicker basket with Breakfast goodies.

My heart was full and so was the basket. Pancake mix, eggs, milk, muffin mix, syrup, bagels, orange juice, sausage, hashbrowns, fruit spread, etc. It was unbelievable. I couldn't believe someone would do that. I was speechless!! (that doesn't happen very often.)I asked my kids Who Brought the Basket?

Rhonda did. What? Who? Huh? Rhonda did! The Sister I visit teach? YEP! Wow!

I was blown away and I felt very blessed! I was truly humbled. I was truly served. We ate that breakfast basket for a week(not the actual basket silly, the contents of it). I will always remember that basket and I plan on filling it up tomorrow or the next day to pass it along to another sister in the ward who needs it now I am going to PAY the true example of service ........FORWARD! !

Shay

Ilove you Rhonda, since the first time we served together 12 years ago

3 comments:

Bon said...

You are such an inspiration, thank you for sharing. You are so strong and your faith is so strong, I am greatful for your example, life is hard, and nice to have friends with same values. You are looking great, keep up the good work, that is too funny about your Elvis husband I can so see your point, lol. with Love, Bon

Unknown said...

i don't know how long i have known you...years..
you are such an inspiration to me..

my blog
http://grameesporch.blogspot.com/

shayster said...

I have to say ladies, I am who I am because you and women like you are great examples to me. Your smiles, your spirits shine!